A Travellerspoint blog

Safe arrival

Well, no wifi at the house at the moment but am going to keep up with blogging by typing it all and copy and pasting it to my blog when I can. What an adventure. What an amazing few days I have had already!

Saturday 20th November 2010 2:45pm

Andy and Viv arrive first to pray and then to transport me and my just the right weight luggage. Can’t believe how peaceful and calm I am - I get more flustered than this trying to launch me and the boys of to Poole for a visit. Lots of hanging around at the airport - didn’t realise I could go through the gate as soon as have checked in and got my boarding pass. I will know next time - and yes - there will be a next time.

Looked around the duty free thinking I may treat myself to a mascara but changed my mind when I saw the prices, I’ll get myself a less salubrious one else where. I really don’t need the fancy labels but its fun to look round anyway. I tried to get a pic of the plane before boarding I but just got flare on the window. Got one of the plane after we had got off it at Seoul though - in day light.

I thought I would be clever and not join the queue until it was nearly at it’s end. The consequence of this was that my hand luggage had to be stowed away on the other side of the plane because the locker above my seat was already full. Won’t do that again. Consider it a lesson learned. It was ok though. Got Smith Wigglesworth out and got though a big chunck of his book. I had a window seat (A30) and it was great for the take off seeing Heathrow and the surrounding area spread out beneath as we took off. Not so great was that my screan wasn’t working and the people sitting next to me had no difficulty in sleeping thus making it difficult to get out and take a walk or go to the loo - which I wanted to do quite regularly after taking everyone’s advise and drinking loads. Didn’t get a head ache though - did get moved though after they tried their very best to make my screen work by re booting it several times. I was moved to another seat in the middle section and on the isle but because of it’s positioning it had a couple of inches leg room taken out (it had a cabin crew section just behind it). So you travellers beware - if you have your back to a wall you may be robbed of a significant though little, leg room. That would be flying with any provider using the same planes.

Korean Air were lovely. The food was ok. An evening meal was served about 22:00pm which seemed strange and we had another meal - a substantial brunch I guess - at about 10pm Seoul time I think. I would be very happy to fly with them again. If you ever find you need to use them there is nothing to worry about. Just for the record.

During that flight I lost 9 hrs so I set off at about 20:05 and arrived in Seoul at about 16:00 on 21st November but really it was a 11 hr flight overnight and we flew in an arch from LHR north of Moscow before curving back down to Seoul at altitudes of 39000 and at 637mph. I was shattered though as I found it very difficult to get much quality sleep.

Seoul airport and hospitality was lovely. They do such a lot to make your visit to their country as good an experience as it possibly can be. They have processions of people in traditional dress, traditional crafts to do - and you can take what you have made, opportunities to dress in traditional outfits and have your photo taken, performances of traditional music with photo opportunities all free of charge. They also had showers, massage services, lounges with wifi and eateries. If I had been as bright as I sometimes think I am I would have done some facebooking and blogging there! But no - and now I have some catching up to do! The people of Seoul and their desire to bless the people visiting their country and giving them a lovely experience is heart warming.

Eventually it was time to board my plane from Seoul to Guam. Although there were technical difficulties - the plane aborted take off twice because of a technical fault we were brought to a halt while a team of engineers came on the plane and did stuff in the cockpit I guess. Well , third time lucky - we did have lift off though everything was a hour late by then. Wasn’t able to let Rob and Allison know so Allison and Beth who greeted me at Guam with welcome garlands and hugs had been there some time. It was a very pleasant trip, we ate about 23:30 which was very strange and I chatted with someone who had been resident there for a while in the hospitality business at one of the posh hotels. Getting through customs there was not a problem and my baggage arrived at the same time I did. Leaving the airport I was hit by the heat. I was convinced that the porch of the hotel was heated though I couldnt think why but as we left the cover of the porch the heat was still very apparent! It was hot even then. We arrived at Rosie's house, woke her up to let us in and after introductions I was shown to my room and my very comfy bed - bliss - slept very well, very well indeed.

Posted by Ruth Brett 00:59

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


What a great start to the adventure, get all you can out of those weeks. Bless you, tony

by Tony Hodge

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint